||Postal Stationery is the bi-monthly publication of the United Postal Stationery Society and is edited by Wayne Menuz.
A subscription to this journal is included in your annual membership. Some
back issues are available for purchase from the Central Office.
Back Issues Search (through 2000)
The table of contents for issues starting in 2001 is available as a PDF.
Publication History of Postal Stationery Magazine
Initially (through 1948), the Society purchased space in Western Stamp Collector
to communicate news to its members. During this time, periodic bulletins were
issued to the members on various postal stationery subjects. In May, 1948, Dr.
Walton I Mitchell and Mr. Eben Farnsworth began a private publication entitled
Postal Stationery, which contained information on foreign stationery
items. This private publication, issued bimonthly, was appointed as the official
organ of the Society in May, 1949. In December, 1952, Dr. Mitchell was forced to
resign as editor due to failing eyesight, and Mr. Farnsworth assumed the dual
roles of editor and publisher. In January, 1954, Mr. Farnsworth ceased his publication
and merged it into Covers magazine, while maintaining the editorship of
stationery section. The UPSS board of directors adopted this new magazine, Covers
and Postal Stationery, as the society's official organ. This arrangement lasted
for just 12 issues, and in January, 1955, Mr. Farnsworth again resumed publication
of Postal Stationery; however, this time it was issued monthly, rather than bimonthly.
In August, 1956, Mr. Farnsworth sold the magazine to Mr. Emmett Peter, who assumed
the dual functions of editor and publisher and changed the name to Postal
Stationery and Postal History Monthly. In December, 1957, Mr. Peter reverted
to a bimonthly publication, although the name remained unchanged. In July, 1960,
Mr. Farnsworth again assumed the role of publisher, with Mr. E. Norman Lurch
serving as editor. Also, the name was changed back to Postal Stationery. During
1961, the non-UPSS members who subscribed to the magazine were notified that they
would have to belong to the Society in order to continue receiving Postal Stationery,
as the Society had assumed control of it. In January, 1962, Mr. Farnsworth succeeded
Mr. Lurch as editor of the magazine. Due to pressures of other work, Mr. Farnsworth
stepped down as editor in October, 1963.
Mr. John Randall became the new Editor-in-Chief and continued in this roll through 1967.
On January 1, 1968, Donna von Stein took over the reins of the magazine. Donna's
husband, Paul had become the printer of the magazine in 1966. In 1970, the von
Steins established an annual literature award for the best article published in
Postal Stationery during a one-year period. The first award was presented
to Dr. N. Mooss of India; the second was won by Mr. Robert Dalton Harris for 1971;
and the 1972 trophy was presented to Mr. Fred Johnson of Canada. In April, 1972,
Donna and Paul concluded their tenure of service to the Society when they turned
the magazine over to Jack L. Jenkins as Editor-in Chief in 1972.
Postal Stationery has been ably published with the following editors-in-chief
since that time:Jack Jenkins (1972-1982), Ross Towle (1982-1988), John Weimer
(1988-1996), Glenn Spies (1996-2000) and, since 2001, Wayne Menuz.
Postal Stationery was published in 6x9 inch size format until 1999 when
it changed to 8.5x11 inch format. The journal has been published in color since 2011.
Past issues of Postal Stationery are available as pdf files on the
UPSS website in the Members Only Area.